Shiny Violet Star

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why I Personally Dislike the label 'Gaijin Gyaru'

I've been on a roll lately with entries but this one had been on my mind for a couple of weeks. I'm always lecturing people about pretty much not separating themselves from things if they expect to be treated equally. This goes with sexuality, age, and yes even race...yes even in the fashion world. There is a real big reason why I dislike using the tag or label anywhere on the internet using 'gaijin gyaru'. Human beings are so guilty of categorizing and separating themselves into categories. Why? It's a social norm. We've learnt it probably somewhere around our schooling days and never learnt to get the fuck out of doing it. 

I used to get a lot of crap for labeling myself as just only a gyaru online anywhere where I posted pictures or even articles because I was a westerner or not gal enough to their liking. After a lot of proof that helped caused a self confidence boost later on, I stopped using the tag 'gaijin gyaru' because it was supposedly the right thing to do in the community because I thought it was seriously stupid. Here were great fashionable ladies who loved the same style of fashion and yet here we are separating ourselves based on whether we were Japanese or not..or matter of fact, even from what country we were from. 

Honestly, I found it quite silly. Regardless of what I look like, I am still a gyaru girl. I have been for two years now and nobody is ever done learning and this goes for even honing your own fashion style. Of course a lot of people would bring up the point, of why separate yourself into a fashion style category or genre then? The answer would be because it's something that sets you a part from others in a fashion style It's not exactly the same type of segregation. Yes we're foreigners but we're still rocking the style right?

I feel like saying 'gaijin gyaru' is pretty much screaming "I'm an outsider! I'll never truly be a gal!"


The first step in being gyaru is believing you are and saying that you are. Confidence is a huge factor in being a gyaru. Or so I learnt when I got into the fashion. If you don't have faith in yourself, fake it. Eventually you'll feel comfortable in your skin. I understand for make-up reference using 'western gyaru' or such because all of us have a different facial structure but even so, I learn a lot looking from everyone on what make-up techniques work to what type of circle lenses they use that best suit their eyes. 

It's more so about the acceptance of "I can learn from everyone and learn something new everyday." 

Just a little food for thought readers! Do any of you also agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment