Shiny Violet Star

Friday, August 21, 2015

J-Pop Summit 2015

J-Pop Summit has been an event I've attended since 2009, since the New People building opened up in Japan Town showcasing Baby the Stars Shine Bright, DokiDoki 6%, and Black Peace Now/Peace Now. Seeing this festival grow so much as kind of astounded me each and every year and I've always made an effort to make plans to go. Since my post high school years I've always been more of a fashion person than a cosplay person, meaning cons aren't really as big of a deal for me as fashion and music events. J-Pop has never failed to disappointment me and my interests. Usually at cons I end up hanging out with friends and maybe if I'm lucky I attend a fashion show or concert. Lately that hasn't been the case so this year's J-Pop Summit really cut the cake and made up for the lack of things I've wanted to see and do for awhile.

I only attended on Saturday with my friend and the location change and the fact that so many events were going on in San Francisco that same day/weekend was stressing me out crazily. I was actually shocked we had found parking but we didn't wake up bright and early for nothing.



First off a break down of my look for that day-

I rarely ever get to wear crazy fashion out and I've been doing a lot of darker/rock coordinates lately so I decided to lighten it up a notch and do agejo fashion for a change. I recently back in May, purchased a Golds Infinity dress that I adore to death. It's a bit sexy to wear as casual wear but for certain occasions I find it appropriate when I want to make a huge and unique fashion statement. The body con cut has really showed off how hard I've been cutting down on my weight and pink and black is pretty classic.

I almost wished I had filmed a make up tutorial for when did
my make up because this was truly a task and some of the best make up I've done in awhile. I beat the hell out of my skin with skin care products the night before and used multiple pore refining and brightening primers before applying concealer and NARS foundation. For my eye shadows I used a lot of of the Naked 3 palette (which I adore and eventually I want to invest in the cooler toned new Urban Decay Smokey Palette just to see how much I can utilize it) but I use the Naked 3 a lot. To give the look more of a pink toned hue I ended up layering the brown with a pink TokiDoki single shadow I had laying around. I also blended a bit of black with the brown on the crease area and the lower lash line. For precise lines I used the Dollywink liquid liner in black. Blush wise I used only NARS Angelica and used a TokiDoki white kabuki high lighter over it. Lashes wise I used the Ageha 115 and cut my Diamond Lash 'Angel Eye' lashes in to create a more dramatic fluttery eye. Bottom lashes were the Diamond Lash bottom lashes in 'Model' eye...which were a bit of a pain because they ain't on a damn band. The technique really did give me dramatic Shizuka Muto inspired eyes though. Lipstick wise I used Mac's 'Pink Noveau' and place PeriPera liptint in 'Cherry Juice' on the center for a dark luscious lip finished off with a dark pink lipglass from Mac.



Hair wise it was a total fluke. I don't know how I achieved what I achieved but it was all out agejo hair. I'm really saddened I didn't have good enough hairspray because San Francisco wind ate that shit so fast. I was really happy with my hair and usually every time I don't intend to do things like that it happens by accident. It suited the Golds Infinity dress so well. 



I ALSO for the first time spent THREE painstaking LONG hours on my nail. I rarely ever do nail sets anymore because all my nail polish and top coat is crazy cheap. I'll be lucky having my nails last a day under the strain of cheap nailpolish. However I really went all out and tried to make them so thick and coated that they almost had the texture of 'gel' nail polish. 

In all, I was very gal for the day and VERY over dressed surprisingly this year. 

I went with my friend Miguel super early in the morning to assure we wouldn't hit traffic coming from the valley up through the East Bay and into SF... Thankfully the drive was smooth and parking with some patience and smooth and free. 

First of the venue change wasn't exactly cosplay or J-Fashion friendly at all. In comparison to all my years going to J-Pop Summit when it was in Japan Town, this was filled with a lot more normally dressed people. I'm really sad about that part. Usually people bust out their best coordinates for that weekend but due to the location change and WIND and all it really changed the event into more of a technology and music fest more than anything.  However there was some fashion events and booths displayed but I'll get to that in a bit.

The first thing Miguel and I did was go and get food at the food trucks while the lines were tame. I knew they'd be much crazier later on in the day and I really didn't have the patience for waiting in them otherwise. I saw it look like a nightmare later on. I ended up getting Takoyaki and Karage from JapaCurry. My ordering process was super fast thanks to the lack of line and how simplistic my order was. However, the seating area for food was totally windy and ridiculous. I don't even think my food would have stayed down on the table. Miguel wanted to make a Starbucks run so our asses headed to the car to chow down asap. So if you really want to eat without the wind and be warm-EAT IN THE CAR. LOL Best place versus their seating area. 



Later on we returned to the festival after eating and I ran into Shana!!!! Shana and her JAMILY who were getting super genki hyped up for the Jam Project concert and meet and greet later on the day. Everyone was so sweet and so cute! I've never seen such dedicated fans before. Maybe it's because the fans I have seen at things have been for J-Rock concerts and Jam Project and the fans have a completely different feel and are incredibly welcoming. I can totally see why they call themselves the 'Jamily'. They really act like family and put together a group effort. It was so sweet to see. I'm also incredibly happy to see Shana because I hardly ever get to see her and she is a total sweet heart. I was so happy for her because I know how much she loves Jam Project. She goes out of state to see their lives even and that's such an admirable dedication! Me and her have a love for Okui-san who does the music for Utena! 

Inside, I looked a couple of different fashion booths. Ammy and the Batty Girls had a really cute printed gingham top I wanted but it was 100.00 for a crop top. Plus honestly, a lot of the new fashions are really simplistic for my tastes or too young for me to pull off. I did see a couple of really cute pieces though no doubt.

Later on I ran into Emma and Sophie who had raided the Hello Kitty Cafe truck and we shortly said hello to each other. I WAS SO SAD I DIDN'T GET A SELFIE WITH THEM BOTH! <3 

I bailed to see a fashion show and Miguel went with me. Moshi Moshi Nippon had a couple of different acts. Their sound system at the main stage was CRAZY guys! I'll explain also how problematic this was later. Miguel was totally blown away by how loud it was and I was really impressed that I adapted to how loud it was so quickly. Especially since I don't attend concerts or things very often. 



A couple of really cute idol acts came out. I don't know their names. They were super genki and super cute. I felt bad that they didn't have a larger crowd and not as much cheering. Not a lot of people at this venue were as enthusiastic and I felt like a lot of younger people who might have enjoyed came in later in the day for the bigger acts. I was THRILLED seeing Amiaya. I've been listening to their music for a couple of years and loved how they dressed and styled themselves. I've always considered them the rival to Amoyamo. They're Zipper models (I think..pretty sure they are) and they're adorable. Sadly again I feel like not a lot of people knew who they were unless you were a fashion enthusiast like myself. I was so happy hearing Starline. I was weighed down by my handbag (which I noted to leave in the car for the big main event concert later on the evening) to be too cheery and jumpy. Not that I usually am. LOL I'm very composed at these things. 

I looooved their blue and pink furry jackets. They were so cute and I bet it really kept them warm in the foggy San Francisco weather! 

Afterward we wandered around a bit and I forgot what I ended up doing. I THINK this was around the time I bought a FEMM poster and a ticket for the signing at 4:30. I was super excited for that and the poster I bought was really pretty. I think the outfits are from ''Kill the DJ" last I remember?

Then me and Miguel did a shoot for a bit. A couple of other people wanted a couple of pictures as well. It was the first time I had done a photoshoot in a very long time. Because of that I was crazy rusty at posing but it was also the first time I shot with someone else who wasn't a friend of mine. It was really refreshing. 




Later on I checked out the main stage again. Akabane Vulgars were the act and they were so good. I'm sure I've heard them in the past since they're returning guests for J-Pop Summit. This year though they sounded really good to the point where they stood out to me. I had only went to the main stage to stall around until 4:30 and then I ended up seriously enjoying myself. 

Eventually it was 4:15 and I went over to the signing area for my FEMM autograph. I met a fan of them who did some really amazing fanart of the girls. It must be a small world because he knew someone that I know a lot about thanks to an ex-friend of mine. Was kind of crazy and bizarre. Eventually the signing started and Riri and Lula were wearing the 'Fxxk Boys Get Money' outfits and I was innerly happy for that. 

They were so cute. FEMM's name means 'Far East Mention Mannequins' so they are super doll-like/expressionless and super insync with each other. Funnily enough I was saying how my J-Pop Summit experience was very 'sisters' or 'twins' themed. 

Eventually my turn came up and I asked if it was okay to take a picture with them for memory's sake since it WAS a meet and greet. They were happy to and here's the picture. Unfortunately the guy taking the pic didn't tap on my screen to focus it in since it was also pretty sunny in that area later on. Oh well I did get my picture regardless.

Afterward I met up with Miguel and we went to the car so we could rest up, so I could drop off my purse, charge phone, and rest up my aching feet for the main concert. We gave ourselves around 45 mins just to chill the fuck out.



Returning the main concert began. The first band was really amazing and crazy. Idol themed still but a band. Supposedly they've done stuff for Dragon Ball Kai and they had some people who were actually fans of them. -isn't updated with idol stuff- They really hyped up the crowd and brought in a lot of energy.



Afterward was Eir Aoi who I was really looking forward to because I've always heard that she has a crazy strong voice. Boy were they right. No regrets waiting around and having my feet die. It was a really amazing performance and of course a lot of people were very familiar with her songs considering she's done a lot of anime related songs for promotion. Regardless she is amazing to hear live. 

The last act was Jam Project. Everyone was crazy hyped up and I thought about Shana the entire time who was probably going crazy in glee. Everyone from the group came out and I noticed that we weren't crazy thinking it was too loud. Okui seemed to be having a hard time hearing herself over the sound system. She made the motion for them to turn it down slightly a bit. Regardless they did an AMAZING job considering that they couldn't hear over their track. 

I stayed around just for Rinbu Revolution. Each member of Jam Project has contributed an iconic song for an anime. I thought of my friends Jett, Sara, Brian, ect when the Dragon Ball and One Piece OPs came on. As soon as the opening notes of Rinbu Revolution came on I screamed my head off and started going with the lyrics. I don't think Miguel has ever witnessed me be that hyped but I really love Utena as a series. If I ever cosplayed again, Utena would be the character and series I would cosplay as and from. 

Afterward we left to have dinner at Ramen Shalala with some friends in J-Town and made a quick round at Purple Kow for some yummy boba. 

In all it was a very different and fun trip. It didn't feel like previous J-Pop Summits I had attended but it was still very enjoyable. The concerts really made up for me not attending lives for a very long time and I got to see and spend a lot of really great moments with some friends. In all I had a really fun and amazing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment