Shiny Violet Star

Monday, September 19, 2016

Anastasia Beverly Hills: MoonChild Glow Kit Review + Real vs Fake Palette

For a pale skinned girl like myself, finding highlighters that actually AREN'T your skin tone can be quite the challenge. So when I saw the Anastasia Beverly Hills MoonChild Glow Kit-I was pretty much in love. Correction, I had to have it. And I've actually the make up hoarder in me has been on a HUGE Anastasia fix lately. 

So here is a review on the much loved limited edition MoonChild Glow Kit! 

First off, for awhile -I had a hard time justifying this palette. The colors were so out there and pastel-like. Would I really have the need for six highlighters and ones with all different undertones (and some more wearable than others?)... 

I debated on it for awhile.. Hell, I even bought a fake MoonChild Glow Kit to try to justify myself (we'll get to that and the details on that in a bit)... But in the end, after seeing the real life swatches of the glow kit, I decided to bust the bank and be out of 40.00 for one. I'm a weak bitch for anything 'cosmic' and 'MOON themed' especially. Don't even get me started. 

However, when I recieved my palette I was so excited and so happy to get it. It's officially been my new favorite thing to play with in my arsenal. The colors are completely one-of-a-kind and aren't something you can get out of just palette. The cool thing about the MoonChild Glow Kit is not only the uniqueness of the palette but price point. 

At first when you see 40.00 you automatically go-FUCK that's a lot. But when break it down honestly? You're getting six highlighting shades with a variety different undertones versus one highlighter from other brands that sell them as singlets. 

Also, holographic/duo chrome highlighters have been a huge trend lately in the make up work. Brands such as 'Milk Cosmetics' are making highlighters for this trend and other indie brands have even made 'rainbow highlighters' for that ethereal fairy affect. The cool thing about the MoonChild Glow Kit is the fact that you can obtain that look with many of the colors creating a duo-chrome highlight, but you can also use a single highlight shade for a more wearable look. Especially if you're a fashion chameleon like myself where one style isn't constant-you have a color for most of your blush shades. Need a gold? It Lucky Clover has you covered. Need a sweet pink high light? Pink heart is the one for you. Do you need a so white that it's icy high lighter? Blue ice. Pastels? Star and Purple Horseshoe. There are endless possibilities if you play with the palette enough to figure out what color suits what blush/what make up look. 

And for 40.00? That's not bad if you break down the variety of colors and the multiple uses you can get out of them. You can make MoonChild incredibly wearable. 

This shades are all insanely pigmented and trust me-people will be able to see your highlight from across damn room. 

Here are the swatches and my description of each high lighting shade...



The first color we have is Blue Ice, which is so white that it's a cool toned icy white. This will be perfect for those winter time looks where you're using a lot of frosty colors. 

The next shade is Star is which is basically a silver highlight. Personally? Tsuyome girls, abuse the shit out of this shade. It's perfect for that metallic silver highlight. 

Purple Horseshoe is next which has lavender cast with glitter. This is perfect for pastel looks. 

Pink Heart is the beginning of the second row. This is a beautiful highlighter with a pink undertone. This goes nicely with pink blush especially. If you're into himekaji or Popteen inspired looks-this highlighter is for you. 

Lucky Clover is an extremely interesting shade in the palette. It's a white/mint green white with gold undertones. It's surprisingly extremely wearable. I've personally been wearing it with darker hued blushes in the red tones. 

Last we have Blue Moon which is a metallic blue highlight shade. This color and Purple Horseshoe are very challenging to work with but if you figure out how to utilize it-you can create amazing looks for this. 


Other ways I use this highlight other than for on the cheek bones: 

This palette can be used as an eye shadow. The colors are incredibly pigmented so you can implement them as sheer pastel shades with lots of glitter. The light colors are amazing for that inner highlight for the corners of your eye as well as a brow bone highlight.

Personally? I love using Purple Horseshoe ontop of a pink liquid lipstick. I wait for the lipstick to dry and set and then place a highlight (or a couple) highlight shades ontop. The highlight colors give the lipstick an amazing sheen. Here's an example: 




This now gets us into the fake MoonChild palette. Before I purchased the real one, I had bought a fake. Why a fake you ask? Because I was wondering if the colors in the real MoonChild were wearable enough for 40.00.


After I purchased my fake palette, I was trying to look up information on the fake glow kits... Every Glow Kit had been reviewed other than the Moon Child. Apparently, MoonChild was a very recent fake that had been copied and released. In a way? This is a good thing because this Glow Kit is limited edition. It's nice to know there's an existing dupe for when this thing sells out. Especially if this has became a new favorite. 

However I eventually did break and buy the real palette mainly because I heard a lot of people's Glow Kits regardless of which one, were coming in shattered. That worried me a little.. Also I found very little information on the fake so I honestly wondered if it would be what I paid for. In the end, I bought the real one out of fear that I would be disappointed with the fake palette and that the real one would be sold out by then. This was actually a highlight kit that I had been wanting for a good month or so. I kept coming back to it. So I bought the real one-was super happy about it. And then had the curiosity of what the fake one would be like when it actually came in.



To my surprise, the fake one came intact. That made me extremely pleased. Noticing the packaging-I instantly found some differences. The fake is more holographic and the font on everything is slightly bolder than on the real palette. Also the fake palette has a bit of a texture that the real one doesn't have. Also the fake's packaging is a darker shade of blue.


Inside the palette, there are some differences in some of the highlighter shades.  Purple Horseshoe is pretty off in the pan and in the fake there's not much differentiation between Star and Blue Moon. Blue Ice is also much lighter than the fake in the pan..

However, don't let the pan shades fool you because here are the swatches: 


Left: Real         Right: Fake



Pretty amazing right? This a nicely done dupe... In terms of texture-the real one is a lot more buttery than the fake one. The fake one has more of a powder consistency. Also the real ones have a bit more luster to them in terms of the chrome/glitter and go on a bit more smoothly than the fake palette's. 

However other than that, it's a nice palette. 

Here's my verdict-

If you're a huge make up junkie such as myself that happens to do crazy make up all the time? The real palette would be worth the investment. It's nice. It definitely lives up to the hype. 

However, if you're not one to wear bold make up/only wear make up on an occasion or merely can't afford the palette (or can't snag it before it's gone) this is a lovely dupe for the real deal. My fake was 9.00 believe it or not. The real one retails for 40.00. My only warning about fakes-DON'T GET SCAMMED. My only annoyance with fakes is sellers and people try to pass off their fakes for the real deal and charging the real price or even half when they're not worth that type of money. So PLEASE do your research on fakes of the products if you are in the market for purchasing a fake. 

For more details on this Moon Child palette check my vlog video down below! 


COMING SOON 


No comments:

Post a Comment